Sunday, October 17, 2004

The Stakes are too High ...

The Stakes are too high:

This article has been circulating, but I haven’t been able to find a link to its origin.

Professor Manweller sees this election as the only election in our lifetime that is likely to matter. He sees the potential election of John Kerry as leading to “retreat, abdication, and a reign of ambivalence”.

“The election of John Kerry will serve notice to every terrorist in every cave that the soft underbelly of American power is the timidity of American voters.”

I’m sorry I couldn’t find a more authoritative link. While the article is worth reading, I think I could sketch a decent rebuttal if I were so inclined. (I won’t; I agree with his conclusions about the likely consequences).

It is my belief that our society is in deep trouble. Thomas Friedman, who I always respect though I often don’t agree, has a list of three severe challenges that will face our nation in the fairly near future. Personally I think he vastly underestimates the danger of the third one along with our current possibilities of success (if and only if, IMHO, Bush wins).

Of those three challenges he mentions, only Bush would make progress on the first two and only Bush could make progress on the last one. I don’t believe Bush will make nearly as much progress on any of those three as our society needs. But the institutional pressures which will prevent Bush from moving forward as much as we need to will necessarily cause Kerry to either ignore things or make them worse.

And of course, those things are BIG discussions in their own right. There are some long legitimate discussions we could have on those if anyone wanted too.

-- John

1 Comments:

At October 21, 2004 at 2:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The main diet of the liberal is tofu and granola. This makes them puny and easy to throw.

Liberals will try to entice you with their twisted logic. Counter with a bitch slap.

Hanging a picture of Ronald Reagan over your door will keep liberals from entering

Liberals are against nuclear weapons but have yet to suggest a soy-based substitute that can obliterate cities.

If you see a fuel-effecient car, it's probably being driven by a liberal. Run it off the road with your SUV.

Liberals are constantly inflaming the culture war. They seem to forget which side has all the guns.

The most dangerous predator of liberals is the real world. They hide from it in college campuses.

Inspired by rhyming slogans and giant puppets, liberals sometimes congregate into groups known as "protests." The purpose of these is unknown.

liberals are always whining about tolerance, but when I punch them for that, they get moody. Hey, Be tolerant!

-greg

 

Post a Comment

<< Home